Find Australia’s most trusted toddler car seats, convertible car seats and booster seats to have your child travelling in safety and style. Metro Baby stocks only the best baby car seats that meet strict Australian safety and quality standards.
QUICK AND EASY TIPS FOR FINDING THE RIGHT TODDLER CAR SEAT
What makes a toddler car seat different to a newborn car seat? How does a convertible car seat differ from an all-in-one car seat? Does a toddler need to be forward facing or rear facing? Read on for the answers to these questions, and more.
Our range of toddler car seats and how they differ
There are a few different types of toddler car seats in Metro Baby’s range. Here are a few fast facts:
- Convertible car seats - Designed for babies from birth to 4 years of age. These seats convert from rear facing to forward facing as your child grows. In Australia, once a child is over the age of 6 months, you can turn their seat to forward facing. However, studies show that infants are safest in the rear-facing position, so it’s best to keep them that way for as long as possible.
- Toddler car seats - These are forward-facing car seats that can be used from 6 months of age up to 8 years. Once your little one is 4, the seat becomes a convertible booster seat using a harness or the adult seatbelt instead of a five or six-point harness. A toddler car seat is a good option for the next step after starting your newborn in a baby capsule for the first 6 to 12 months.
- All-in-one convertible car seat - The name of this seat says it all. These take you from newborn up to 8 years old via a series of removable inserts and adjustable shoulder height markers. For a newborn, it’s a rear-facing car seat up to 12 months (or approx 30 months for the Infasecure Attain model), and converts to forward facing when you’re ready. A seat like this can be the only car seat you purchase for your child's life.
How to choose the right seat for your child’s age and height
When it comes to choosing child car seats, your options are either a baby capsule, a convertible car seat, an all-in-one car seat, a toddler car seat or a booster seat. The age breakdowns for each of these are listed below:
- Baby capsule - Birth to 6 months or 12 months (depending on model)
- Convertible car seat - Birth to 4 years of age
- All-in-one convertible car seat - Birth to 8 years of age
- Toddler car seat - 6 months to 8 years of age
Booster seat - 4 years and up.
All of these child restraints come with manufacturer’s age and height guides, so it’s important to refer to these when choosing what’s best for your child.
Consider the car you are driving
If your car is small, the space in your back seat is likely to be at a premium. Even if your car is large, it’s a worthwhile exercise to measure carefully, taking into account any other children’s car seats as well as armrests and window angle. You’ll also need to know whether your car has ISOFIX anchor points. If not, you can secure the seat using the seat belt plus a tether strap to an anchor point.
Popular products and their features
Our most popular toddler car seat brands include Infasecure, Maxi Cosi and Britax Safe n Sound. These industry-leading brands are loved for their child safety and comfort. Some of their most popular features include:
- side impact protection technology
- comfortable fabrics made with antibacterial and moisture wicking properties
- multiple height and recline adjustments
- flexibility in rear and forward facing options
- Ease-of-installation with features like ClickTight by Britax
Car seats which will grow with your toddler
Kids grow fast! All convertible car seats (including all-in-one models) and toddler car seats in our range are designed to grow with your toddler. Convertible car seats give you the option of beginning in the rearward facing position and transitioning to a forward facing seat when you’re ready. It’s important to regularly check your little one’s shoulder height in their seat and make adjustments to the inbuilt harness height as necessary. Once your child is four years old (or reaches the necessary height requirement), you can switch their seat to booster mode used with the car’s lap-sash seatbelt. Your child will be ready to sit in an adult car seat around the age of 8 (approx). A five-step test to confirm their eligibility is a good idea.
Features to consider when buying a car seat
While safety standards should be top of your list, there are a number of other features to consider:
- Comfort - Premium fabrics and padding with moisture wicking and antibacterial properties like bamboo charcoal fabric.
- Size - If your car is small or you need to fit three across, compact is perfect.
Design - There are numerous exciting design features to look out for, such as:
- Automatic harness adjustment - means no more rethreading of harness straps when your child goes up to the next height setting.
- Buckle holders that keep shoulder straps out of the way while placing your child in their seat.
- Built-in cup holders - really handy because small kids can’t reach the existing cup holders in most cars.
- Cleaning - Washable covers that are easy to remove.
- Positions - Recline positions for increased travel comfort. Some models have nine positions while others are unlimited.
It’s got to be safe!
Nothing is more important to a parent than keeping their little one safe. Metro Baby stocks only the highest quality, leading Australian baby car seats certified to standard AS/NZS 1754. In addition to meeting Australian car safety standards, the other major safety boxes to tick include:
- Side impact protection - mechanisms that absorb impact forces and direct them away from your child
- Installation - Either via ISOFIX points or using the car seat belt and a tether strap to an anchor point
- Correct use - Your baby must be strapped in properly with their harness firm and their shoulders in the correct height position every time they travel.
Installing your toddler car seat safely
Your seat must be installed correctly according to the manufacturer’s installation instructions. The seat should be held tightly by the seatbelt and tether strap or ISOFIX connectors. If in any doubt, having a professional install your baby car seat will give you peace of mind.
Other accessories you may want to consider
Along with your seat purchase, you might want to take a peek at accessories in our car seat range. You’ll find seat liners, seat protectors, mirrors, window shades, tether adjusters, extension straps and various items from the Safety 1st range.
While you’re at it, take a look at all the other essentials you’ll need for bub in our one-stop shop. Browse our range of prams and strollers from popular brands like Bugaboo and UPPAbaby, bassinets, feeding gear, all things sleep, and more.
Brands we know and trust
At Metro Baby, you will find our top picks for toddler car seats from industry leaders Infasecure, Maxi Cosi and Britax Safe n Sound. We only stock quality products that offer the perfect blend of functionality and style.
Buying your toddler car seat online at Metro Baby
Shopping with Metro Baby online for your toddler car seat is simple and stress-free. We have an easy payment method and you can also pick up your order from our store in Richmond, VIC via Click & Collect. Browse our range of child car seats knowing that we offer fantastic prices and reliable service. And remember, you can always contact us with any questions.
What car seat is recommended for a 2 year old?
The recommended car seat for a 2 year old is a toddler car seat (6 months to 8 years) or a convertible car seat (birth to 4). A 2 year old can sit front facing in a car seat provided their height and weight meet the manufacturer’s guidelines.
What is the safest car seat for a toddler?
Provided the car seat is brand new and meets current Australian/New Zealand safety standard AS/NZS 1754, you will be making a safe choice for your toddler. Other important considerations to achieve maximum safety are side impact protection features and correct installation and use of the seat.