Shop Metro Baby's collection of baby food makers to find the perfect products to help make introducing solids easier for you and bub! Our selection of all-in-ones eliminate the need for separate steamers, blenders and food processors.
Give your baby the best start with a baby food maker
Giving the best to your baby is often top of mind for any new parent. A baby food maker is a fantastic way to pave the way to healthy eating habits and instill a love of food into your little one. Whether you need a gadget for pureeing, blending, mashing or steaming, a baby food maker will make the process a whole lot easier!
Best baby food maker
Baby food makers are an incredibly handy way to make homemade baby food. Eliminating the need for separate pots, steamers and warmers, a baby food processor helps make nutritious, yummy, easy meals to make weaning your little one as easy as 1-2-3.
Benefits of using a baby food maker
● Save money: Store bought baby food, like a lot of baby products, is not only expensive when you are going through multiple bottles or baby food pouches a day, it isn't very sustainable. Cost effective for both you and the planet, baby food makers are eco and wallet friendly.
● Know what your bub is eating: By making your own baby food, you know exactly what your baby is eating and can avoid the sugar, salt and fillers usually added. By using whole ingredients, you ensure your baby’s food is pure, fresh and contains only the best for your bub.
● Use fresh ingredients: Instead of feeding your baby store-bought food filled with preservatives and additives to increase shelf-life, a baby food maker allows you to use the freshest ingredients, lightly steaming them to lock in nutrients.
● Introduce new ingredients and flavours: Get creative with combinations (from avocado and pear to pumpkin and apple) to easily introduce new flavours to bub. Sneak a little nutmeg or a tiny bit of ginger into their applesauce to start to develop your little one's palate and help prevent them from becoming a fussy eater.
Things to look out for when purchasing a baby food maker
● Function: Decide if you want a baby food maker that just blends or if you also want it to steam or perhaps you want it to steam, blend, defrost and reheat!
● Easy to use: If your food maker is not easy to use, it's likely to sit on the counter collecting dust.
● Durable: It needs to be made from study materials that won't break, stain or shatter and can withstand daily use.
● Cleaning: It must be easy to take apart and clean and made from materials that are dishwasher safe.
● Safety: Make sure your baby food maker is made from materials like glass, stainless steel and BPA, phthalate free plastic. Food makers equipped with an automatic shut off are incredibly useful for when you get busy, distracted or just forget it’s on!
Baby food storage tips
There are a variety of storage containers available to keep your pureed veggies and fruits fresh and well preserved. Here are some creative food storage tips:
● Freeze baby puree in multiple single-serve portions in ice cube trays, silicone muffin cups or ice pop trays.
● Use freezer storage bags to store baby food in small balls. Remember to write the date on the bag so you know when you made it and if it’s sweet potato, carrots or pumpkin.
● Sterilise and reuse small glass jars for fridge storage.
Remember you can only keep baby puree for two to three days in the fridge or up to 30 days in the freezer.
Choosing the best baby food maker for you
The purpose of a baby food maker is to allow you to decide exactly what your baby is eating, get your baby to start off loving fresh food, and make the process of making baby food super quick and easy. There are many different options when it comes to healthy baby food makers: baby food mills, baby food blenders, steam cookers and steamer blenders. The type of baby food maker that’s best for you will depend on what functions you want, your budget and its ease of use.
What you need to consider
● Does it have all the functions I want? Is it an all-in-one or will I need to buy separate gadgets to steam, blend and reheat?
● What material is it made from? Is it BPA free plastic or, if it’s glass, is it strong and shatterproof?
● What is my budget? Do I want a simple, economical option or is it worth it to splurge on a more expensive baby food maker with all the bells and whistles?
● How much will it make at a time? Will I need a large cup capacity for my hungry toddler or will a smaller cup capacity be enough as I’m only just starting to introduce solids to my baby?
What functions are a must
Here are the functions you’ll want to look for in a baby food maker (keeping in mind that there are machines that have multiple or all these functions):
● Steam: Place food in a steam basket to soften before blending.
● Blend: Whizz up softened food to vary the texture and consistency.
● Defrost: Easily defrost pre-prepared frozen baby puree.
● Reheat: Makes reheating a breeze without the need for a microwave.
● Automatic shut off: Ensures safety and that you don’t overcook food.
What other accessories you may want to consider
● Freezer trays or pods for freezing baby food.
● Glass conservation jars for storing food in fridge.
● Glass bowl or extra steamer attachments like the Babycook Neo Pasta/Rice Cooker.
● Spatulas and spoons small enough for your baby food maker.
● Recipe books specifically for baby food.
Brands to look out for
Metro Baby stocks only the most trusted and quality brands like Beaba, Liewood, Philips Avent and Wean Meister.
Purchasing online with Metro Baby
Buy a baby food maker with Metro Baby for an easy, seamless online experience.
Frequently Asked Questions About Baby Food Makers:
Do you need a baby food maker?
If you want to make your own baby food, a baby food maker helps make food preparation fast and easy. A baby food maker eliminates the need for multiple pots, steamers, blenders and mashers and allows you to quickly steam, puree, reheat and serve your little one. Browse our nursing and feeding section for all your baby feeding needs.
What are the best baby food makers?
The best baby food maker for you will depend on what functions are most important to you, your budget and how frequently you will use the machine. Contact us today for any questions you may have when trying to decide on the best choice for you and your baby.
What is the healthiest baby food?
Homemade baby food is often the healthiest choice for your baby. Commercially manufactured baby food is cooked at very high temperatures for a long period of time in order to sterilise it. While that kills germs and bacteria, it also kills nutrients. Add a baby food maker to your gift registry now to prepare for when your baby transitions to solids.
What is the safest way to make baby food?
When making baby food it’s important to thoroughly wash your hands, properly rinse the fruit and veggies you are using, sterilise food containers and store food safely in the fridge or freezer. If you need help with the process, follow a recipe booklet for versatile, tasty combinations or get creative making up your own recipes. Safety, in all aspects, is super important for babies. Check out our car safety section to discover additional ways to protect your baby.