What you will find in this guide
Our top picks for double prams in 2022
There are lots of different double pram brands and styles on the market and it can be difficult to know which one is right for you and your growing family. Let's take a look at some popular double pram types.
TYPES OF PRAMS AND STROLLERS AVAILABLE
Choosing a smooth ride for your youngsters
The stroller you choose will need to accommodate your older child and your new addition. The right double pram will make life a whole lot easier for parents and the kids, and you are sure to have your own list of priorities for safety and practicality. Considerations include:
CAR SEAT AND CAR BOOT STORAGE
Many modern strollers fold up into a surprisingly slim parcel. Many sedans and SUVs have ample storage space for a double pram to be securely stowed and fastened. Juggling the kids is easier when you have storage and travel options.
REVERSIBLE TWIN STROLLER CONFIGURATIONS
Your two little ones will each have their moments to be alert, active and participating as the world goes by their pram. Reversible twin strollers seats are independently reversible, allowing one child to rest back while the other reaches forward. Problem solved!
ADJUSTABLE HANDLEBARS, BELLY BARS AND WHEEL SUSPENSION
The difference between high-quality double prams from Metro Baby, and cheap imitations from warehouse-style stores can’t be stressed enough. Choose a pram that suits your stride with adjustable handlebars, wheel suspension, and belly bars to keep your babies safe and secure.
SIDE DOUBLE PRAMS THAT FIT THROUGH STANDARD DOORWAYS
Sure, you will be wanting a double pram with enough room for everyone to squeeze in, but you don’t want it so wide that it can’t fit through doorways. If you live in a smaller residence with narrow access to any area of the home, it’s worth purchasing a more manoeuvrable stroller configuration.
RAIN COVER, SUN CANOPY
You only have two arms, and even though you can control a quality pram with one hand, you will still need both arms for looking after the little ones. Choose a double pram with a sun canopy and rain covers, and with some storage space for essential baby products and nappy bags.
Many of the best double prams for 2022 are connectable with baby car seats. The capsule can be removed from the car seat and placed in the stroller, without having to wake your little one. Initial considerations before purchasing a double pram include:
• the car seat you are going to purchase
• how many children you have
• age and size of your children
• your budget
• what you are going to use your double pram for
Best travel compact double prams
If you enjoy travel for work or pleasure and you have little ones in tow, a compact double pram is probably on your wishlist. You will certainly be considering lightweight double strollers for travel.
Compact prams are easy to lift in and out of cars, and can be folded and stored. They are also manageable getting on and off trains and buses. A compact double pram won’t fit in an airplane overhead stowage compartment, but will be permitted to travel as luggage in the hold.
Let’s have a look at some favourite lightweight compact double prams at Metro Baby, so you can make an informed choice and shop with confidence for your family.
This double pram with bassinet combo is newly designed with higher back, longer leg rest and deeper footrest. This pram adjusts as your children grow, and there is a newly designed canopy for extra coverage. The easy push 4-wheel suspension and large tyres make the UPPAbaby Vista V2 a smooth ride. Features include:
- Front wheel locks with visual indicators
- Reversible toddler seat: facing forwards, backwards, upright or reclined
- Extendable canopy for additional sun protection, plus mesh panels for airflow
- Adjustable canopy height as your toddler grows
- Adjustable handlebar
- Stands while folded
This is a pram that can grow with your family. Offering multiple configurations as a single or double pram the Bugaboo Donkey 3 is extremely versatile and ready for action. This pram is compatible with different car seats and can be converted into a double pram if you have two children to look after. The Bugaboo Donkey 3 is small enough to fit through doorways and can hold up to 23kg in each seat. Now that’s tough! Features include:
- Side-by-side geometry for easy steering even using one hand
- Expandable side basket with integrated zipper and 35 litre capacity
- Puncture-proof wheels made from EVA foam for a bump-free ride
- Sun canopy integrated breezy panel for airflow and comfort
- Adjustable handlebar and seat/bassinet configurations
- Rain cover
Made just right for cosmopolitan mums and dads, the Gazelle S Pram with Carry Cot is the ideal companion at the local markets or while browsing the city centre. The Gazelle S has more than 20 seat configurations including pairing with an infant capsule. This slimline double pram is ready from birth, with a lie-flat ergonomic position for babies. Great features include:
- Bundle deal with seat, carry cot and shopping basket
- Convenient design for one or two children
- Extendable sun canopy made from UPF50+ fabric and featuring a mesh window
- Easily adjustable handlebar height, perfect for co-parenting duties
- Carry 13kg in the storage basket and 10kg in the shopping basket
- Store your baby accessories, adaptors and other essentials for hands-free shopping
- Change the way you shop, take excursions around town, and visit family and friends
Cover all bases firmly with this all-terrain double pram made for adventure. With the Joolz Geo2 you are free to visit your favourite shops or head to your favourite beach or mountain view. Built solidly with a stable centre of gravity, the Joolz Geo2 can be converted into a double pram that will make strolling with babies a breeze. For ergonomic comfort and design, it’s hard to go past the Joolz Geo2, with more features such as:
- 3 ergonomic seat positions - parent and world facing
- High bassinet & seat position at table height
- 5 adjustable handlebar positions
- 4-wheel suspension and puncture proof tyres
- All terrain wheels (lockable swivel front wheels)
- Large shopping basket holds up to 10kg
What to look for when buying a double pram or stroller
A stroller (pram) makes getting around much easier for parents and caregivers. With so many double pram options available it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Metro Baby stocks a huge range of baby car seats with capsules specifically designed to fit into Metro Baby prams, from brands such as Britax and Maxi-Cosi. Here are some ideas worth considering.
Double Pram Travel System
It makes sense to have an all-in-one double pram travel system if you are looking after 2 little ones. Travel Systems are useful in ways that include:
- • A combination stroller and infant capsule
- • Moving a child from the car to their pram without disturbing them
- • Adaptability and usability as your children grow
- • Suitable from birth in conjunction with an infant capsule
Best full sized reversible double prams
The advantage of a pram with a reversible seat or handle is that you can face your baby for comfort and bonding while only a few months old. At different ages your children will want to explore more, so the seat can be repositioned to get a front row seat watching the world go by. Most reversible prams have a reclining seat for newborns and babies.
Best prams for active parents
Parents and carers who lead an active outdoor lifestyle may want a three-wheel stroller. these all-terrain prams come with larger pressurised wheels that can handle almost any surface. Three wheelers are purpose-designed jogging/mountain buggy strollers that really work, so look for one with a lockable front wheel, plus cup holder and storage for adapters, liners, nappies and other essentials. Active parents appreciate three-wheeler speed, suspension, and manoeuvrability, especially those three-wheelers with a fully reclining seat for newborns and infants.
Safety is the most important factor when choosing a stroller, before purchasing ensure you have checked the following:
- • Complies with the Australia/New Zealand standard AS/NZS 2088.
- • Has a five-point harness consisting of two shoulder straps, two waist straps and a crotch strap. The straps should be adjustable.
- • The brakes work properly and are easy to locate and use.
- • Has a two-stage lock to stop the stroller collapsing.
- • Has a leash on the handle bar that straps to your wrist in case you lose your grip.
- • The stroller is strong and stable and will not tip easily.
- • There are no gaps that could trap fingers.
- • There are no sharp edges or points.
Keep baby close and safe
A double pram is obviously a good option if you are having twins, or are having a second child soon after your first. These are exciting and busy times, so you will need to consider how you will be using your new pram.
A compact double pram with good centre of gravity and ergonomic features is perfect for walking, outings, and visits to the park or playground. You will be able to keep a close eye on both your children, without losing focus on either one. A double pram is big enough for a two year-old and an infant, allowing your growing family to stick together.
Features and Accessories to consider
Modern prams and strollers are made from lightweight materials, and are surprisingly easy to fold and carry. Here are a few more features to consider.
- • Folding - easy to move in your car and into your house
- • Weight - should be light enough to carry upstairs or into the car without straining
- • Capsule option - useful double pram travel systems are ideal when out and about
- • Harness - keep your little ones safe at all times while in the stroller
- • Hood/Cover - provide shade and shelter, plus a viewing window
- • Storage - a smart space under the double pram for a safe load
- • Purpose - choose the right type of pram to match your lifestyle
- • Handles - adjustable height for maximum comfort
- • Reversibility - choose which way your baby faces in the early months
- • Seat Pads - choose a pram with washable seat pads for the inevitable spills
- • Footrest - your little one will enjoy a safer, more comfortable ride
- • Wheels - a smooth ride even on rough terrain
Brands to look out for
Your babies are a precious gift worth protecting. It’s essential to purchase a pram from a well-known baby product brand, from a retailer that specialises in baby and toddler products. Metro Baby partners with only the best, including pram manufacturers such as UPPAbaby, Bugaboo, Thule, Cybex and Joolz.
If it’s time to upgrade from a single pram to a twin pram or tandem pram, Metro Baby is a shop you can trust for products that meet Australian safety standards.
What is the difference between a pram and a stroller?
The terms ‘pram’ and ‘stroller’ tend to be used fairly loosely. These days, both words can be used for the same product. However, ‘stroller’ can often refer to a model with an upright seat while ‘pram’ often refers to one with a bassinet or flat sleeping surface. Many modern models offer both stroller and bassinet features, especially double prams.